Thursday, September 16, 2010

Reverse Psychology

...is AWESOME and my newest weapon as a mom.  I had no idea how well it would work on my 2 1/2 year old.  I was ridiculously blatant too!


(Actual conversation from the other day)
Mommy - What flavor yogurt do you want, Anna?  (I wanted Anna to eat a peach yogurt this morning, because she always asks for strawberry and I didn't want the peach to go to waste)
Anna - strawberry banana
Mommy - How about peach?
Anna - No, I can't like peach....strawberry banana
Mommy - Oh, well you can't have peach anyways.
Anna - (something to the effect of "what?")
Mommy - You aren't allowed to have peach.
Anna - I want peach. (said in an almost whiny tone)
Mommy - No, you can't have it.
Anna - I want peach, please.
Mommy - Ok, you can have peach. (smile)


Later in the day...
(Anna has two doll strollers and I folded one up and put it in the corner, because she really only needs it out when she has a friend over)

Anna - I want that one. (pointing to the one folded up in the corner)
Mommy - No, you don't need that one.  Go play with that one over there. (trying to redirect)
Anna - No, I want THAT one.
Mommy - You're not allowed to play with that one over there. (pointing to the one I want her to play with)
Anna - (immediately responds) I want to play with that one. (pointing to the one I want her to play with)
Mommy - No, you're not allowed.
Anna - Please, Mommy.  I want to play with that one. (again pointing to the one I want her to play with)
Mommy - Ok, you can play with it.
Anna - Thank you! (happily runs over to play with the stroller)


Can you guess how I got her to stand here for this picture??


1 comment:

Judy said...

Gotta love my granddaughter!!! The reverse psychology makes them think they have "control" when in reality we know they don't.
Jenn uses it all the time to get the girls to eat, "don't eat that or you'll grow". I think it's a game now and they all know the rules.
Keep up the good work.