Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thailand - Food That Terrified Me!

Let me first preface this post by saying...
I am a somewhat picky eater.
I would like to consider myself a Recovering Picky Eater.
I was way worse when I was younger.
I've gotten to the point now where I just don't like the taste of some things.
I'm sorry...but yogurt looks great...smells great...but tastes like sawdust.
EVERY TIME!
Same with pop tarts, tomatoes, pickles, mushrooms, flaky pastries, broccoli, and any tea...expecially chai...
oh my gosh chai tea makes me gag just thinking about it.
And I've tried...promise.

So...with that being said...here are some pics of Food That Terrified Me!
It was actually my friend Andi's idea.
Every day I kept pointing things out to her and say "That terrifies me!"
And she was like "this sounds like a blog post."
And I was like "that's a genius idea."
There would be a dozen more pics if she had given me the idea sooner in the trip ;-)


This first pic is a fruit.
No idea what kind.
It was red on the outside and a scary gooey with black seeds on the inside.
A pack of herding rhinos couldn't make me eat this.
Unidentified Fruit

This next one just does not come through in a pic like it should.
It had a gelatinny (I just made that word BTW) larva coccoon texture.
I've decided the only thing gelatin I want to eat is Jell-O, thank you very much.
And there was a LOT of gelatinny food choices in Thailand.
Sago Dumpling with Minced Pork and Peanut


These next 2 were in a food display case at a food court in a mall.
No further scary explanation needed.
squid on a stick
squid on a stick

Seaweed flavored Lays.
No Thank You.
Seaweed flavored Lays potato chips

Now I love corn.
Especially on salad.
But with my ice cream...
Not so much.
KFC Dessert

This next item was meant to be an ice cream topping.
It was black, gelatinny, slimey looking, in black sauce.
Sends shivers down my spine ;-)
Unidentified Black Gelatinny Stuff in Black Sauce

And just so you don't think I hated all the food in Thailand...
here are a few yummy pictures!

This was a yummy fruit.
It was hot pink and bumpy on the outside and white with black seeds on the inside.
It was a little harder than a kiwi texture-wise.
Dragon Fruit

Diet Coke...or what they call Coke Light
It tasted different.
Different sweetener...but I got use to it and enjoyed it just the same.
Coke Light

And this is me eating yummy Pad Thai!
I will say that as much as I enjoy Pad Thai...
I don't need to eat it any time soon.
I'm good for a while :-)
Yummy Pad Thai

Hope you enjoyed seeing some scary and yummy foreign foods!
Feel free to take a guess at what the unidentified items are!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wondered how you were going to do with the food! ;) That squid on a stick creeps me out. The black gelatin thing goes without saying. Yuck!

Cheryl said...

Laura - I actually didn't do too bad. I found something I felt comfortable eating at every meal and when there were buffets I would try new things. Luckily, I like spicy things so that made it easier to eat in Thailand too! Thanks for commenting :-)