Monday, September 5, 2011

Fireplace Progress

BEFORE PICTURE


DAY 1
Trying to get the mantle off


Big Strong Hubby got the mantle off


Cleaning the bricks - vacuuming


Brushing them off

ewww...it's flinging little pieces of mortar at me

oh my gosh it's getting worse...I think it went in my mouth!

ok...much better :-)



Caulking the big holes so they don't appear all shadowy after painting


END OF DAY 1
Taped off and ready to paint - we were afraid to use the tape on the ceiling in fear it might pull the texture off


DAY 2
I did the honors of putting on the first paint!


Already looking better


END OF DAY 2
We couldn't even finish the primer coat the first day of painting.  It is MADDENING trying to get paint into every nook and cranny...and time consuming...my goodness!


END OF DAY 3
Still not totally done with the primer coat, but we didn't have much time to work on it this day.  We're calling that bottom stoop "Phase 2"...caus we still need to be able to stand on it to paint the rest.


Some lessons I've learned during this process...mostly ones I already knew ;-)
  1. I am not very patient
  2. I have an amazing husband
  3. I hate painting bricks
  4. I am NOT a perfectionist
  5. Why in the world is that fireplace to stinking big when everyone else online has fireplaces the size of a peanut????
  6. It looks WAY better white
  7. We've made the right decision

One last remark to leave you with.  This was Anna's reaction to waking up and seeing a white fireplace.
"I would have painted it purple...but I guess it looks alright white."

So all you who were against painting the brick white...at least we didn't let our 3 year old pick out the color!!

I'll keep you updated with our progress...

2 comments:

annie said...

First of all, love the in progress pictures. Second, LOVE the decision! I'm excited for you guys! :) Thanks once again for getting me hooked on Young House Love. :)
ann :)

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the LOVE, Ann! I love getting people hooked on things...well...good things at least ;-)