Friday, October 7, 2011

Leaving a Legacy



If your death preempted live prime time television...you're a pretty big deal.

I think we would all agree that Steve Jobs has left quite a legacy here on earth.  He will forever be known as a creative genius, innovative genius, business genius, visionary genius, and just all around smart guy.

His death has reminded me of my desire of leaving a legacy too.

Before I had kids...before I was even married...I imagined my kids running around the house singing "Jesus loves me this I know..."  It was kind of symbolic of how I wanted to raise my children to know Jesus.  To know how much he loves them.  To know the price he paid for them.  To know him as their friend and Savior.

But I don't just want my kids to have a relationship with Jesus.  I want their kids to know him...and their kid's kids to know him...and their kid's kid's kids to know him.

I want them to remember their Great Great Great Grandma Cheryl - the one who loved Jesus.  I want to be up in heaven and be surrounded by the family Steve and I created on earth.

That's the legacy I want to leave.

Now if only I can keep that perspective all the hours of the day.  You know...the hours where your child is disobeying you for the umpteenth time, or peeing their pants, or hitting their sibling, or just plain on your last nerve.  That's when I am most thankful for God's grace.  Because the Lord knows I do not always display the most "Jesus Loves You" attitude during those hours.

I pray the Lord brings my children to himself despite my bad attitude hours.  And he is more than able.

What kind of legacy are you leaving?

No comments: